Re: [gedit-list] Syntax Highlighting

Andreas Tepe wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> yes, the problem is known and probably not a gedit problem.
>
> I got this answer about it:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a problem in gtk itself, so until it gets fixed there we
>> can't make anything about that.
>>
>> Regards.
I think this was recently fixed in gtk+ though.

> There are also some other issues, like the impossibility of defining
> the syntax highlighting colors in a GUI (like it was possible in
> former times), but this is because of some very stupid gnome politics
> not allowing the users to change anything anymore unless they are not
> willing to mess around with style files.
>
> The argumentation behind is that any user could create a nice style
> file and shares it with the world. This is as far from reality as it
> can be...
This is not the argumentation actually. We want to provide an interface
for this, but it's not a trivial interface to design (in particular due
to the flexibility of the new format over the old format) and we decided
to put priorities elsewhere for now.

Please try to keep to constructive arguments, rather than throwing
around statements such as 'very stupid gnome politics'.