[gedit-list] External Tools, Saved Sessions Plugins Missing

I am running gedit 2.28.3 on ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit).

A week ago the view bottom panel (Ctrl + F9) is now greyed out and External Tools and Save Sessions no longer appear in the plugins available.
I run apt-get update daily so it's likely something that updated or user error (again).

Uninstalled and re-installed gedit & gedit-plugins,  ensured that bottom panel is enabled in gconf-editor.

Searched the gedit list archives but am likely not asking the question the right was as I didn't find a solution.

Would like Save Session back as well as command shell in bottom panel.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

TIA!

maurie