[gedit-list] showing hidden files on open - no context menu available

I'm working on a Gnu/Linux system with kernel 2.4.21 and CDE, and gedit
2.2.2 installed. When I click on File/Open, the dot files are not shown
in the list. How can I configure gedit to show them?

I have googled for this already, and found the suggestion to right-click
in the pane showing the file list, and choose "show hidden file".
However, right-clicking in that location doesn't have any effect
whatsoever (no context-menu is shown).

Any idea what I could do? Of course I can edit the dot files by typing
their name explicitly, but sometimes I find it handy to choose them from
the list.

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronaldf eml cc>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,