Re: [gedit-list] Git Integration

Zarmakuizz wrote:
On 06/02/2010 19:45, Dena Dragos wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Gedit for some time now, and I would like to contribute to the project if it's possible :-). I am rather new to GTK programming, but I have some knowledge about it and also some Python experience. I was taking a look at the requested plug-ins and I think I could work on a plug-in to integrate Git in Gedit.
Yes, we are very much interested in some basic SCM integration (not only git though).
Basically, I think it should look like this:

- The most usual commands associated to buttons in the Toolbar (if it's possible to add buttons here, but I think you can with the UI Manager. If it's not possible, then maybe in a Tools->Git Commands->[git_command] menu entry) and to shortcuts (configurable by the user). Also, the specific Git command associated to a button/menu entry should be configurable with additional arguments by the user if it's needed.
They should be at least available from the menu (some people have the toolbar disabled for example).
- A Git Output tab in the Bottom Pane (similar to the Shell Output tab) with the output of the Git Commands.
I think it would be cool here to reuse for example the external tools output panel if it is also active. I'm not entirely sure about that idea, but I don't like so much adding another panel that is just for showing some output and is basicly exactly the same as the external tools.
- A tab in the Side Pane where you can browse your projects which are managed by Git. Basically, you have to add manually the folders in which you have projects managed by Git and the user should be able to start a new project from a File->New Project menu entry where he needs to choose a folder for it's project and the "git init" command will be automatically launched (or maybe the "git init" command could be optional)
Here there are ideas to instead extend the file browser plugin (you can do that with the current gedit plugin API) to add emblems to relevant items while you browse. The rationale here is that a git repository is already a directory anyway, so why not reuse all the functionality of the file browser plugin (like bookmark support). You can also add context menu (right-click) items, so that when you right click on a modified item, you could stage it easily.

That would be my idea about how the plug-in should look like. I would like some feedback and maybe some suggestions if it's possible :-); or if there is no need for the plug-in.
There is definately a need for the plugin, and we have some ideas of our own (as you can see :)). If you like, please drop by on IRC so we can discuss things more easily.

Jesse

    Best regards,
        Dragos
Hello

I have found a plugin I didn't have try who looks like to do this.
http://github.com/rafaelmws/git-gedit

Regards,
Zarmakuizz