[gedit-list] Fwd: The plugin mentality

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Freer <jessejazza googlemail com>
Date: 3 December 2010 21:49
Subject: Re: [gedit-list] The plugin mentality
To: Doug McNutt <douglist macnauchtan com>

On 3 December 2010 18:39, Doug McNutt <douglist macnauchtan com> wrote:
> I find the plugin for simple tools very useful. I can write a tool in any language I care to...
> Plug-ins are a way to allow users to keep the application small and fast by NOT loading stuff they will never use.

It seems to me that gedit as a default editor was intended for general
text editing i.e. folk like me wanting to write articles for
magazines, modifying/writing the odd script, quick loading minimalist
editor for the ItsAlltext Firefox plugin. Hence why it was called
gedit compared with kedit. Kedit is just about right for my uses
whereas gedit is a bit more advanced (closer in compatibility to
Kwrite for KDE) almost to the same level as Bluefish - i.e. a
programmer's editor. As a gnome user gedit is my choice at present.

Thus it seems reasonable to make the point that in the future
development of gedit there are a couple of routes to consider
a] a basic general text editor with numerous plugins for customising
for the more advanced programmer's editor.
b] gedit builds in its plugins and it consider's itself as a
programmer's editor. A GTK editor like Leafpad could be advanced a bit
to become a bit closer in functionality to Kedit and thus the gnome
default 'Text Editor'.

As i see it gedit has been developed beyond what was originally envisaged.

yours
james