Re: [gedit-list] The plugin mentality

I find the plugin for simple tools very useful. I can write a tool in any language I care to and I don't have to learn a whole new environment that includes things about which I don't want to take the time to become an expert - Gtk, automake, for instance. I have not yet been able to compile gedit from source on this 64 bit machine running ubuntu. That's probably my fault but I have at least a man-week into the effort.

A simple ability to execute a few call backs without going through a process that involves make files  and other stuff that, so far, I have not been able to work would be helpful.

Some AppleScript-like commands to gedit - dbus perhaps - would also be helpful. Things like "place the cursor at", "find some text", "Insert some text at the current cursor" would be really useful in a tool written in perl.

Plug-ins are a way to allow users to keep the application small and fast by NOT loading stuff they will never use.  That's good.  But make it easier for users to create the plug ins and don't require that their work be compileable on every machine in the universe with Automake.

--
--> If you are presented a number as a percentage, and you do not clearly understand the numerator and the denominator involved, you are surely being lied to. <--