Re: [gedit-list] HTTP PUT

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 09:33 +0200, Steve Frécinaux wrote:
> James Leigh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It is obvious that gedit supports HTTP GET as it can open any http text
> > file in the "Open Location" dialog. However, it always seems to be
> > read-only (even when the server supports HTTP PUT).
> >
> > What would need to change for gedit to support saving text files to a
> > http location url?
>
> There is a gconf key which specifies which protocols gedit allows
> writing to:
>   /apps/gedit-2/preferences/editor/save/writable_vfs_schemes
> Other were considered not reliable enough to be enabled by default
> (understand: it caused data loss to some people)
>
> Default is [dav, davs, sftp, smb, ssh], but you could add something else.
>
> If it doesn't work, you must know gedit doesn't handle directly access
> to remote files. It goes through an abstraction layer, which is either
> gnomevfs (before gnome 2.24 or gnome 2.25, I'm not sure) or gvfs
> (later). So if there is some limitation in remote access you have, you
> should fix gvfs.

Thank you very much for this information Steve. As you said the gconf
entry enables the save button and gnome-vfs (gnome-vfs/2.22.0
neon/0.25.4) can use HTTP PUT with no problems. However, gvfs cannot
handle http: locations in write mode. Looking at their svn, it looks
like http put support was removed last year[1]. I'll see if the gvfs
community can shed any more light on this.

Thanks!
James

[1] http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gvfs?view=revision&revision=1220