Re: [gedit-list] Completion survey

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 14:09 +0100, Perriman wrote:
> El Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:34:48 +0100
> Mats Taraldsvik <mats taraldsvik bickeringleague net> escribió:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 10:14 +0100, Perriman wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm developing GtkSourceCompletion (Gsc)
> > > (http://gtksourcecomple.sourceforge.net/) and I want to do a survey.
> > >

> > Is your primary source of documentation on sf, or live.gnome.org?
>
> You can get information from sf and live.gnome.org.
>

> > > Currently I have created GtkSnippets library and I have integrated
> > > this library with Gsc. I have developed a provider that complete
> > > words written in a GtkTextView, in the Snippets database and words
> > > in a file. Another providers like Gedit documents, shows the open
> > > documents and, when select, set the focus on the selected document
> > > or open the document selected in the Recent Documents page...
> > >
> > > I need some feedback about the future or roadmap of Gsc. What do you
> > > need about Gsc?
> > >

> > How is the corrent support for programming, and what is planned?
> >
> > When I program in Python, for example, it would be really helpful if
> > the docstrings are parsed as well.
>
> Currently only supports words completion. It supports neither python
> nor C etc. We can create special providers for these languages. By
> example:
>
> GscProviderCSource: Complete C symbols, variable names etc.
> GscProviderPythonSource: Complete python symbols, object methods and
> fields etc.
>
> Currently I'm trying to generate abstract providers that can work for
> all files (text, source code, .po etc.)

My use case when programming in Python: Use functions from python
library, and use the modules in my project. If there was some way to
parse the current document and the whole project, it would help a lot.

For me personally, words completion for programming is most important.
But completing e.g apache conf values when editing the Apache
configuration file, xorg conf values when editing xorg.conf would rock,
too, and be very useful! :)

You're doing brilliant work.