Re: [gedit-list] I want multiple instances of gedit

At 14:45 -0500 12/17/08, Joris Pinkse wrote:
Is there any way of having multiple instances (not just multiple
windows) of gedit running simultaneously?

I want a program to start gedit on a text file and do some other stuff
when the user closes the text file in gedit.  (Yes, I'm sure there is a
more sophisticated way of accomplishing this.)

To get a quit notice you can start up gedit as a background process using a shell command like

gedit PathToFile &

If gedit is already open it will create another tab. An independently running gedit process has bad karma. There are a bunch of files and directories in $HOME/.gnome2/gedit/ that could easily argue with each other and the relationship is nowhere documented that I know of. And I have looked because I really want to compile and run a gutsy version and I don't dare because I need a reliable version of gedit to work with.

It's conceivable that a prefix setting in the configure script for gedit might make a version that could operate with different base directories but it would take some work.

I have been thinking I might be able to use a separate username and log in from another machine. X11 should allow that and at least the $HOME/.gnome2/ directory will be different.

Some things that ought to be document-specific are global gedit preferences. It would be terrible if preferences set in process 1 of gedit would affect process 2 of gedit.

I think you imply that you know it but right clicking on a gedit tab offers an option to move that tab to a new window. It won't be a new process.
--

--> Life begins at ovulation. Ladies should endeavor to get every young life fertilized. <--