[gedit-list] Trying 2.25.2 on ubuntu

I'm interested in learning about gedit in a whole lot more detail. In fact I want to experiment with parts of the source. But I need a reliable version that I can use for everyday things.

So. . . .

I downloaded 2.25.2 and set it up in a directory in my home folder. ./config and make seemed to go just fine, though the text output seemed excessive, and I got a gedit executable. With a few worries about what executing it might do to all of those .gedit support files in my home directory I shut down ubuntu's gedit and tried to execute from the directory where the new executable appeared:

< from terminal>
Mars> ./gedit ~/ScratchPad  &  # That's a file I use with gedit all day long.

(gedit:18106): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Could not load desktop file '/usr/local/share/applications/gedit.desktop': No such file or directory
Segmentation fault
</from terminal>

The only thing in that directory is:
/usr/local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

I need some suggestions as to just how to come up with a version of gedit for testing while I continue to use a reliable version for working on it and a whole bunch of other things. I really don't want to sudo make install and wonder how to recover.

Version 2.24.2 is installed in /usr/bin/. Does it use a gedit.desktop file? If so where is it?

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.