Re: [gedit-list] Gedit updates for Ubuntu

Hello,

Peter Anderson wrote:
Thanks for your considered and detailed reply. I certainly understand more about the current process than I did before. I presume from all of the above that the only way one gets an upgrade for G-edit is to upgrade GNOME and the only way to upgrade GNOME is to upgrade to the latest release of your favourite distribution (Ubuntu in my case). This may sound naive, but its not a particularly user friendly approach and while I understand what happens I'm not sure this is a systems building approach I would have taken during my working days. It certainly makes the value of Ubuntu's "Long Term Support" claim a bit dubious.

If I could ask one last question - is it possible to upgrade the complete GNOME environment on say Ubuntu 6.06 or is that just too difficult.

Thanks again for bearing with my uninformed requests and for providing such a sound reply.
I'm happy it helped.
About upgrading the GNOME in dapper... it's possible, tools such as jhbuild or GARGNOME would help you, see:
http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2776

However GNOME is big and complex, and it's probably better to stay with the one from your distribution, which was widely tested in your software environment (gcc version, hal version, ...) and is supported for security upgrades. installing your own version of GNOME means that you're on your own for security upgrades, etc.

If you really need a newer gedit, upgrading ubuntu would be the best solution I think (it's not that hard, and generally it's reliable). For that, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseNotes section "Upgrade from 6.06 LTS".

emmanuel