Re: [gedit-list] Gedit updates for Ubuntu

Emmanuel Touzery wrote:
Hello,

Peter Anderson wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply.  This seems like an odd response for a Linux software product.  In my relatively short experience many software packages (including the Linux kernel (or parts of it)) are updated regularly without the need for a complete system update.  These packages come as a *.deb file that actually include all the relevant dependent software.  It ought not be too difficult to have a G-edit deb release.
This is the debian/ubuntu way, of requiring you to update your whole system. Otherwise, it's not that easy as it seems, at least in the general case.
I'm not sure if you realise but Ubuntu "Breezy" is a long-term support release and is designed to be supported and improved over a number of years.  Does that mean that if I choose to stick with "Breezy" then I will never get an up-grade to G-edit?  That seems like an odd policy from the developers of G-edit.  I hope this is not going to be the case.
Actually, ubuntu "dapper" (which comes with gedit 2.14.x) is long-term. ubuntu breezy will be end-of-life in 6 months from now.

Generally speaking, policies regarding binary packages are policies of distributions (in this case, ubuntu) and not of upstream developers (in this case, gedit). So I think you should point your questions and comments to ubuntu, not gedit.

emmanuel

All,

I did not intend my original post to start a flame war!  As a bit of background, I have been trying to make the switch from Windows to Linux for several years now.  As a retired programmer/manager I have an interest (some might call it a obsession) with editors.  I still develop web sites for not-for-profit organisations and dabble with a bit of programming (Python, Logo and Scheme).  What I am really looking for is a Linux version of TextPad or NoteTab from the Windows world.  The lack of comparable editors in the Linux world is one of the major reasons I have not switched permanently.

First off, I know "Breezy" is not the current long-term Ubuntu, but I was unable to find a "Dapper Drake" (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS for the more pedantic) repository for G-edit, the one I found is for "Breezy" and Paolo seems to have assumed, from the URL I supplied, that I was running Breezy - a minor point and not worth correcting (although I did quote it) at the time but now we have got into pedantic mode it seems the correction is required.

Secondly, Emmanuel says "This is the debian/ubuntu way ..." - well I am not sure that this is true.  There are many packages (Bluefish, SCREEM, Amaya and Scite in the editor world, Firefox and Thunderbird, etc. etc.) that bring out Deb and RPM packages of their new versions.  Typically these packages include all the required dependent libraries and just install over the old version and just work.  The suggestion that one upgrade the complete distribution (a non-trivial task) just to get the latest version of a text editor is, frankly, absurd - I've just upgraded NoteTab on the Windows half of my PC without a need to pre-install MS Vista! (pedants - I know it has not been released - I'm just making a point).

My original request was to try and find a similar binary package for G-edit and if it was not available then to ask the G-edit world to consider making such packages available - not an unreasonable request I would have thought.

Again, it is _not_ my intention to fan a flame war, just try and move Linux along a little and make it a little easier for new users like myself (see my signature text at the end of my e-mails?).  Please take this message in that light.  Think how grateful many G-edit users would be if they could easily up-grade such a good editor when new features and fixes become available - you would certainly have my thanks!

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E:  peter anderson internode on net
P:  +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M:  +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6