Re: [gedit-list] Gedit updates for Ubuntu

Hello,

Peter Anderson wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. This seems like an odd response for a Linux software product. In my relatively short experience many software packages (including the Linux kernel (or parts of it)) are updated regularly without the need for a complete system update. These packages come as a *.deb file that actually include all the relevant dependent software. It ought not be too difficult to have a G-edit deb release.
This is the debian/ubuntu way, of requiring you to update your whole system. Otherwise, it's not that easy as it seems, at least in the general case.
I'm not sure if you realise but Ubuntu "Breezy" is a long-term support release and is designed to be supported and improved over a number of years. Does that mean that if I choose to stick with "Breezy" then I will never get an up-grade to G-edit? That seems like an odd policy from the developers of G-edit. I hope this is not going to be the case.
Actually, ubuntu "dapper" (which comes with gedit 2.14.x) is long-term. ubuntu breezy will be end-of-life in 6 months from now.

Generally speaking, policies regarding binary packages are policies of distributions (in this case, ubuntu) and not of upstream developers (in this case, gedit). So I think you should point your questions and comments to ubuntu, not gedit.

emmanuel