Re: tab behaviour, was [gedit-list] gedit 2.15.2 released

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 17:46 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 22:01 +0200, Steve Fr�naux wrote:
> > Then what you want is patch the HIG, not gedit.
>
> I've just read the HIG, and it's quite clear that applications
> should use SDI unless they have a very compelling reason not to.
>
> There was no reason whatsoever given why the default GNOME editor
> should be MDI. The HIG is fine, it's just that gedit doesn't
> follow it. The interaction model breaks, and users get to keep
> both pieces.

I want to clarify a bit this "default editor" thing you continue to
refer to.
gedit born in 1998 as a MDI text editor.
It started to be the "official" GNOME text editor in GNOME 2.0 (if you
see GNOME 1.4, gedit wasn't an official GNOME package).
So, it didn't born as _THE_ GNOME editor, but it was chosen.

I'm quite sick of this discussion. Until I will be the gedit maintainer
it will be a MDI editor, I'm not going to change it to be a SDI one.

I said you I'm available to accept a SDI plugin and a member of the
gedit team also said that he will be happy to implement it if you will
be able to define a good set of requirements.

So, please stop this thread.

Ciao,