Re: [gedit-list] Filebrowser Pane Plugin - in development

David Jonas wrote:
Just wanted to give this a shot and offer what I can. Why not add it
to gedit/plugins in CVS and not include it in the default build ? (a
simple --enable-filebrowse flag) It increases the likely hood of
feedback exponentially, and as it is a feature in relatively high
demand, I wouldn't be surprised if you get someone from ubuntu or one
of those projects kicking back a little (in a positive sense).

It's up to the project maintainer, Paolo. I imagine when the code hits a
level of maturity on par with gedit he'll be happy to include it. For
now and for it's initial release I think I'll just host it and manage
patches, etc, using bazaar-ng. As I said in my original post this is a
new type of project for me so it is going to be a little slow because I
want it done right. If when there is an initial release some developer
with more time and backing wants to run the project I may turn it over
to them. But that seems like a big if.

Last time I discussed this with Paolo Maggi we agreed that a file tree is a nice feature and we are likely to include a plugin of this kind in gedit. However I agree with David that until it is more or less working it's better to keep it out of the tree: people (and time) come and go and we don't want an half done plugin in cvs with no one working on it. Beside developing the plugin in cvs without having write access to the repository is painful both for David and and for the ones who would have to commit all the patches. Using bzr for now seems a great idea!

Paolo

David