Re: [gedit-list] Gedit Latex plugin

Marciano Siniscalchi wrote:
Hi all,

I am writing a (simple, for the time being) LaTeX plugin for Gedit. The very, very alpha version I have now:

Hi Marciano, this is great to hear! Improved LaTeX integration has been requested many times.

<snip>
My next plans are:
<snip>
* freshen up the syntax highlighting?

What exactly is needed here? (note that syntax highlighting is provided by GtkSourceView)

I'll send what I have as long as I am not too ashamed of it. Please understand this is my first semi-serious python/gtk/dbus/gedit project, so there was a lot of material I had to digest and I am sure my code is NOT a model of elegance and efficiency right now!

Sure, send it and attach it to the wiki (live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins). In fact I guess you could even start a new wiki page and describe your plugin and attach the code.
We'll be happy to review the code and answer any question you have.

Finally, one **Question**: how do I save the current active document? Do I have to do it directly (get the buffer, write to file and change the status of the document)? Or does gedit export a method for that? If I have to do it directly, are there any special issues I need to be aware of?

We plan to add a method for that, unfortunately it didn't make it to the 2.14 release... I can think a couple of hacks to do the saving in the proper way (I'd avoid saving manually since gedit would not be aware of the state change).
Can you describe where you need 'save' ?

Paolo

Thanks a lot!
Marciano

--
Marciano Siniscalchi
Associate Professor, Economics Department, Northwestern University