[gedit-list] Gedit Latex plugin

Hi all,

I am writing a (simple, for the time being) LaTeX plugin for Gedit. The very, very alpha version I have now:

* invokes latex & friends, and updates the DVI if LaTeX was successful. I also plan to have the plugin load the .log file if an error was detected [this is a cheap version of using the bottom panel, which I plan to do eventually]

* does forward (gedit to xdvi) search, courtesy of xdvi's -unique command-line switch

* is about to do reverse (xdvi to gedit) search, using a simple dbus interface and xdvi's -sourceposition switch (the basic dbus infrastructure works---I just need to get the details right and test some more)

My next plans are:

* use the bottom panel

* ensure the plugin is multi-window-safe (right now it isn't---I found the Python plugins page on the gedit wiki too late...)

* collect labels and bibitems, and allow for easy insertion (still need to think about this one though, but it's an important feature I think)

* provide an easy way to navigate the document structure (i.e. jump to sections, subsections, labels, etc.

* GUI configuration (right now everything is hard-coded in the Python code, althouhg it's easy to just change the relevant global variables

* freshen up the syntax highlighting?

I'll send what I have as long as I am not too ashamed of it. Please understand this is my first semi-serious python/gtk/dbus/gedit project, so there was a lot of material I had to digest and I am sure my code is NOT a model of elegance and efficiency right now!

Finally, one **Question**: how do I save the current active document? Do I have to do it directly (get the buffer, write to file and change the status of the document)? Or does gedit export a method for that? If I have to do it directly, are there any special issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks a lot!
Marciano

--
Marciano Siniscalchi
Associate Professor, Economics Department, Northwestern University