Re: [Geary] Connection issues (IPv6 and DNS servers) and Geary sync speed

On Thu, 12 Sep, 2019 at 11:14, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> wrote:
I've recently noticed a flaky connection while using a streaming service. I could not find any useful information in the logs, but I saw some reports about IPv6 issues with some routers so I decided to disable it. I've also added more than one DNS servers, to be safe.

Since then I've never had any issue with the streaming service.
And Geary sync seems to be faster and reliable than before, both on my laptop and desktop installations (which have different network setups).

Yeah, unfortunately broken IPv6 connections can still be a bit of a pain. GLib 2.58 and 2.60 saw a good amount of work done to make IPv6 fallback work better by implementing the Happy Eyeballs approach[0], but clearly things can still get wedged.

If you are suffering some problems using IPv6 that goes away when IPv6 is disabled and comes back when it is re-enabled when using Geary or other GIO-based software like Web, it would be worth reporting that in the GLib bug tracker so the underlying issue can be tracked down.

One issue that it's still present: sometimes a new conversation with more than one message fails to load the second and following messages. The sync keeps running forever until I close Geary and restart it. This is annoying since I also lose some (not all) of previous delete/archive actions, which I have to repeat.

This has been an ongoing issue with 0.13 and 3.32. I think you're thinking about issue #212[1]? This cycle saw a fair bit of work in addressing the underlying problem, and I think it might now be fixed, so let me know how it goes with 3.34.

//Mike

[0] - <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs>
[1] - <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/geary/issues/215>

--