Re: [Geary] conversation list sorting criteria

Hey Federico,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> wrote:
As far as I understand, the conversation list is sorted by _receiving_ date/time. This means that if I reply to an old conversation, this conversation will stay in the bottom of the list until someone replies to my message.

I'm used to a different behaviour, as in Gmail, where sent messages are taken into account when sorting conversations. I like this approach, because I want recent conversations to stay on top and IMO sent messages count as much as received messages.

What's your feeling about it?

I think this would make a lot of sense, so much so that I wonder if it's actually a technical limitation or a bug. Did you find one related to this?

Thinking through the UX a bit: The conversation in the list will likely be selected and visible since it's being replied to. When the sent message is appended to the conversation in list, the selected conversation will potentially disappear when it gets re-sorted up the top. Do we then scroll up to it and hence lose the user's place in the list, do we just allow it to vanish like that (I guess this already happens if another message is received for an existing conversation anyway), or is there another option?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>