From: Robert Schroll <rschroll gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Geary] problem compiling geary-0.10 under debian 8
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:56:42 -0400
To: Frédéric Parrenin <parrenin ujf-grenoble fr>

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Frédéric Parrenin <parrenin ujf-grenoble fr> wrote:
By the way, I have another problem with geary now that it starts.
I don't have the icons for reply, reply to all, forward, mark conversation, and label buttons.

This is probably due to the same sort of issue as the schema problem. Resources like icons and the schema definition need to be loaded by the geary binary. The binary assumes that these have been put in a default location for the OS and only looks there. If you install to another prefix and don't tell the OS to include that location in the various search paths, they won't be found.

Usually I don't have to type this command when I start a software which I compile from source, so I wonder if something can be improved on the geary side?

Probably. I'm sure there's a way to detect the path set during the configure step in compilation and ensure it ends up in the binary. However, this would be somewhat fragile. You couldn't copy your "installation" to another user's directory and have it work. (Not that this is something you'd do....) Feel free to open a bug about installation to non-standard paths.

I wonder why you wanted to install geary in your home directory in the first place? Geary works just fine when run from its source directory. If you don't want to install it on your system, you can just not install it at all. I've been using Geary this way for several years now.

Robert