Re: [gdm-list] Getting GDM to look for Hosts doing an XDMCP broadcast

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Ray Strode wrote:

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Damian McGuckin <damianm esi com au> wrote:
How do I get GDM to look for 'xdmcp' queries and then let me select the host
to which I connect.

Configure your X-terminal to do an indirect query to the machine running GDM. When GDM detects the indirect query, it will put a host chooser up on the machine that did the indirect query.

(for instance, Xorg -indirect hostname-of-gdm :123)

I am basically trying to use Linux Mint as an X-terminal.

When I type

        Xorg -indirect hostname-of-system-running-gdm

it tells me the current system, i.e. already has X running on it.
My guess is some idiot stripped the code out.

Eventually I managed to run KDM on this Linux Mint and so far, KDM still has full XDCMP capability, i.e. in and out.

I can configure this to run a chooser and it works. Whoo-Hoo!

I am running this on a Tiny VIA box with 2D acceleration only.

When I use it locally, I am using the XFCE window manager.

When I log-into the remote GDM system, I also run

Unfortunately, KDM is no longer the default Window Manager for KDE. They now use SDDM which has also stripped out XDCMP because the developers for some reason think XDCMP is not used any more.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer