Re: [gdm-list] GDM crashes ubuntu 10.04

Hello Brian,

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 12:36 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> David:
>

> > I understand. Interestingly, at the time of one of my crashes from
> > yesterday I happened to have two thin clients logged on to me (I'm
the
> > server) and they continued along without noticing. It would seem
that
> > the crash just affects my own desktop (and apparently keyboard/mouse
> > too) but not the core system.
>
> Do you notice any errors in your Xserver logs?  Is it possible your
> Xserver is crashing?  Try checking the /var/log/Xorg* logs and also
> the log files in /var/lib/gdm that correspond with the crashing
display.

The Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old files seem perfectly ok (although they
really don't make for very exciting reading...zero plot development).
Xorg.4.log, Xorg3.log and Xorg2.log all had this unique section:
===================
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" removed.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" initialized.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" removed.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVODDC_D" removed.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" initialized.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" removed.
(II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA
(II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
(WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
(II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
(WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(II) UnloadModule: "ch7017"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ch7017.so
(II) UnloadModule: "tfp410"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tfp410.so
(II) UnloadModule: "ivch"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ivch.so
(II) UnloadModule: "ch7xxx"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ch7xxx.so
(II) UnloadModule: "sil164"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sil164.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
===================

The Xorg.<x>.log.old did not have anything (beyond the first 6 lines).

> It sounds like you do have a unique setup.  Can you try setting up
your
> system so it isn't running in a multi-display environment and see if
> the problem happens in general on your console?  Or does the problem
> only happen when your system is configured as a terminal server?

I believe that Edubuntu is, by default, configured as with LTSP.
Interestingly, my proxy server authentification somehow prevented LTSP
from being installed originally and I had to do it manually using
ltsp-build-client later. I checked the dates to see if that might have
been the problem, but the first crash occurred at least a full day
before that manual install.
I'm not aware that I am actually configured with a multi-display
environment (unless you are referring to my thin clients).
gnome-display-properties doesn't reveal anything.

> By the way, what version of GDM are you using?  You can run one of
> these commands to check:
>
> $ gdmflexiserver --command=VERSION

2.30.0

> $ gdmflexiserver --version

2.30.0

> Note if you are using GDM 2.21 or later, that it does not support
> multi-display environments very well unless you are using a version
> of GDM that is patched with the currently experimental MultiDisplay
> patches that are available via bugzilla and in a separate GIT branch.
> I assume you are likely using a version older than GDM 2.20 if
> MultiDisplay is working since I have not heard that Ubuntu is shipping
> with the MultiDisplay patches.
>
> > Either way, do you suggest that I head over to
> > http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users for more help?
>
> It is hard to say.  When exactly are you noticing the crash?  Does the
> crash happen when the login screen is displaying (or before), after
> authentication but before showing the user session, or at random times
> during the user session operation?

So far it has always happened at least a few minutes after a successful
launch and sometimes many hours. I think that a couple of times it
happened as I was entering my password to get through the screen saver
(which shouldn't have been locked to start with).
Thanks for you help!
David