Re: [gdm-list] GDM crashes ubuntu 10.04

David:

How are you configuring GDM to work in multi-display mode?  Are you
just using XDMCP, or are you using some other mechanism to manage
the remote displays?

Do you notice any errors in your Xserver logs?  Is it possible your
Xserver is crashing?  Try checking the /var/log/Xorg* logs and also
the log files in /var/lib/gdm that correspond with the crashing
display.

The Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old files seem perfectly ok (although they
really don't make for very exciting reading...zero plot development).

They don't look ok to me.  Lines with "(EE)" are errors, and I notice
the following errors which seem serious.  Perhaps your graphics card is
not supported.

Xorg.4.log, Xorg3.log and Xorg2.log all had this unique section:
===================
(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
===================

I believe that Edubuntu is, by default, configured as with LTSP.
Interestingly, my proxy server authentification somehow prevented LTSP
from being installed originally and I had to do it manually using
ltsp-build-client later. I checked the dates to see if that might have
been the problem, but the first crash occurred at least a full day
before that manual install.
I'm not aware that I am actually configured with a multi-display
environment (unless you are referring to my thin clients).
gnome-display-properties doesn't reveal anything.

MultiDisplay just means that you have multiple displays.  A terminal
server is an example of a multiple display setup.  I'm not that familiar
with how LTSP works.  Does it use XDMCP or some other mechanism to set
up GDM to allow multiple displays to connect to the server?

Note if you are using GDM 2.21 or later, that it does not support
multi-display environments very well unless you are using a version
of GDM that is patched with the currently experimental MultiDisplay
patches that are available via bugzilla and in a separate GIT branch.
I assume you are likely using a version older than GDM 2.20 if
MultiDisplay is working since I have not heard that Ubuntu is shipping
with the MultiDisplay patches.

Either way, do you suggest that I head over to
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users for more help?

It is hard to say.  When exactly are you noticing the crash?  Does the
crash happen when the login screen is displaying (or before), after
authentication but before showing the user session, or at random times
during the user session operation?

So far it has always happened at least a few minutes after a successful
launch and sometimes many hours. I think that a couple of times it
happened as I was entering my password to get through the screen saver
(which shouldn't have been locked to start with).

Successful launch of what?  Successful launch of the login screen or
the user session, or does it happen at random times?

Brian