Re: [gdm-list] My feedback about lately GDM development

El lun, 10-05-2010 a las 12:52 -0500, Brian Cameron escribió:

> Thamawij:
>
> > I am just a plain user with not so much knowledge and I know that you
> > guys working for us without a pay so if I wrote something mistaken or
> > harsh by no means, please excuse.
>
> Thank you for your feedback.  It is always good to hear from users and
> fans.
>
> > I am a fan of Gnome for quite a time, so I am experience GDM most of the
> > time, using linux. But lately, I am quite disappointed for the release
> > and this is the 2nd time so I decide to send this feedback.
> >
> >     * The first time I really mess up is when GDM upgrade to version 2.
>
> Note that GDM was rewritten for version 2.22.  I assume you mean that
> you updated from a version 2.20 or older to version 2.22 or later.
>
> >       I think you already had many feedback about the theme system that
> >       can no longer compatible with the previous themes. For the users,
> >       this is just buggy, but for those theme developers, this is just
> >       like throwing their devoted good works into trash and this made
> >       many developers turn their back. I am not the developer so I did
> >       not feel so sad. But as you guys are developers, I think you guys
> >       feel the same if the same occurred to you.
>
> Yes, removing support for gdmgreeter style themes was a hard decision.
> However, the GNOME community is dropping support for libgnomecanvas
> which these gdmgreeter themes depend upon.  It probably isn't too hard
> of a job to port the old gdmgreeter-style theme code to work with the
> new GDM.  What is hard is deciding which canvas should be used now that
> libgnomecanvas is being dropped.  Or does it make more sense to use
> something like clutter to support GDM themes?  A clutter-based solution
> could also work with the same XML file format that the old gdmgreeter
> style themes used.
>
> Note that one big problem with gdmgreeter themes is that they never
> supported accessibility very well.  So, while the new GDM may not be as
> nice to theme, it at least works better for users with accessibility
> needs.  So, hopefully, if someone fixes the new GDM to support themes
> again, the accessibility issue will be better addressed.
>
> Note that clutter also does not support accessibility well.  Note that
> GNOME Shell also uses clutter, and I think it will be easier to decide
> if clutter is a good way to theme GDM once the accessibility issues
> are solved in clutter for GNOME Shell.
>
> >     * I am not sure if this is because Ubuntu developers or the GDMs, I
> >       found that in Lucid (Ubuntu and Xubuntu) GDM can no longer enable
> >       root allowed GUI. I understand that this is for security reason.
> >       But GUI development is mostly aims for desktop user (if I am not
> >       mistaken), I think "easy to use" is more weight. Either for
> >       individual or enterprise users, provide choices is more efficient
> >       than forcing users against their will. In many cases, making the
> >       proper one default and let user override the settings on their own
> [...]

Nice explanation Brian :-)

I would only make you a suggestion:
Have you think in the possibility of blogging in planet.gnome.org with
that information related with regressions from 2.20 and asking for help
in great tasks (like theming and similar)? Maybe that way some people
would volunteer for helping with it...

Thanks :-)