Re: [gdm-list] Turn off user list in greeter

2009/5/31 Dan Nicholson <dbn lists gmail com>:
> 1. There is currently no UI for controlling most of gdm. Setting the
> desktop background from control-center sounds reasonable, but the
> preference for showing the user list?

A new (gnomeish) user account capplet would be the place to put it.
FWIW, it's how OS X does it.

> At some point you have to have a
> separate capplet or application specific to the display manager. I
> only suggested using gdmsetup because the code already exists and
> currently there's nothing.
>
> 2. gdm is not actually a desktop application. There's only a certain
> amount integration possible there. Not to mention that settings have
> to be applied either system wide or to a different user (gdm). Kind of
> tough to manage from a user's session. I was imagining more of a
> configuration dialog from run from the greeter rather than an
> application you launch from your session.

What is there to configure for end users that shouldn't be easily
available on their session? OS X gets this aspect very right IMHO.
Check this if you don't know it:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/configuring-your-login-screen-in-mac-os-x.html

If you are referring to exotic configurations that are mostly done in
custom deployments and thus are mostly done by system administrators
then such a tool could be made for that audience, but really, for
those I think gconf-editor/gconftool-2 are all that's needed along
with documented gconf keys.

Rui