Re: [gdm-list] Configure GDM not to display users in /etc/passwd

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Rodrique Heron <swygue rodhouse org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Rodrique:
>>
>>> How can I configure Fedora GDM to only display a prompt with username and
>>> password field, instead of all the users in /etc/passwd?
>>
>> This is explained in the manual.
>>
>> http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/
>>
>> Make sure to check the docs for the version of GDM you are using,
>> since the configuration mechanism changed in GDM 2.21 and later
>> versions.
>>
>> Brian
>
> Thanks Brian, first I was looking at the wrong doc, and I expecting it to be
> a config change to /etc//gdm/custom.conf. I'm in charge of replacing Windows
> with Fedora desktops for my company. It appears I would have to go to each
> desktop and launch gconf-editor to turn this feature off. Do you know what
> file this is stored in so that I can just distribute it to all the desktops?

I believe you can make this a system wide mandatory setting (even
though it will only ever be run as the gdm user):

# gconftool-2 --direct \
    --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory \
    --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list false

Or, change the --config-source to xml:readwrite:/var/lib/gdm/.gconf to
just affect the gdm user.

--
Dan