Re: [gdm-list] Problem with .ICEauthority

Jean:

The fact that both Xauth and ICEauthority files don't seem to work
with your user's $HOME directory may be an indication of a deeper
problem with the way your system is configured.  You might try
loosening the RelaxPermissions configure option since GDM does
avoid using the user's $HOME directory if the permissions are bad.
Changing RelaxPermissions allows you to use $HOME directories with
not-so-good permissions.

The issue is that the $HOME directories are situated on a win2003
server. I tested xauth with strace, and found that if fails upon a call
to LINK, which is not supported on win32 AFAIK. I suspect that it is the
same issue with iceauth even if I did not try. As there is an option in
gdm to put the xauth file in a different location, I thought we might
also have one for iceauth, it would be better than editing the scripts,
IMHO.

Yes, this does sound like the problem you are running into.  I would
accept a patch to fix GDM so that you can configure it to work using
a different call if using win32.  This would probably require adding
a configuration option to GDM and making it make different calls if
the option is set to turn on win32 support.

I suspect you are right that the same or a similar problem is causing
the ICEauthority issue.  Though you would probably have to report the
issue to the Xorg libICE maintainers to work on fixing that issue.

I suspect that in the meantime, you will need to hack around the
problem via scripts as you are doing, though.

Brian

I'd recommend trying to understand why Xauth and ICEauthority
doesn't work with your $HOME directory.  Again, I suspect this
isn't really related to GDM directly, though.

Brian

Le vendredi 22 juin 2007 �5:13 +0800, Brian Cameron a �it :
Jean:

I'm not sure that this is a GDM issue.  Note that libICE is a part of
the X consolidation.  I don't see that GDM displays any messages about
.ICEauthority locking issues.

I'd recommend that you touch base with an x.org forum (refer to
http://www.x.org/) and pose your question there.

Does GDM work better if you leave the UserAuthDir directory is blank?
If it is blank, then GDM will use the user's $HOME directory.  Note
UserAuthDir only affects where the Xauth keys are placed and should not
affect ICEauthority, I'd think.
In that case, things fail even earlier upon execution of xauth.

Note GDM only has code in daemon/slave.c to ensure that the
.ICEauthority permissions are set properly.  If so it will call
fchown to ensure the file is owned by the user and the user's group
and fchmod to set it to S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR.  Other than this GDM doesn't
touch the .ICEauthority file.  Therefore, I don't think GDM is the
source of your problem.
I could fix my problem by adding a line in /etc/gdm/Xsession:
export ICEAUTHORITY=`mktemp /tmp/.iceXXXXXX`

but I don't like to change scripts, it's much better to change a
configuration file IMHO.

Jean

Brian

I'm trying to install a debian-4.0 workstation inside a win2003 domain.
The users directories are on a windows server and the session ends
immediatly with a message saying that .ICEauthority could not be locked.
The UserAuthDir has been set to /tmp in the gdm configuration file
because the same issue was reported for .Xauthority.
I also tried to set ICEAUTHORITY at various places, but no solution I
could imagine worked.
Does somebody know a solution to this problem, or should I patch gdm so
that is sets ICEAUTHORITY?

Thanks
Jean