Re: [gdm-list] multiple at-spi starting commands

Hi Brian,

I'd think there should just be on at-spi-registryd per-user.  You
would need to test and see if there are problems with starting more
than one instance of it.

I realize that this question would have been more appropriate in the accessibility mailing list.

I just tried it and it seems trying to start another instance does not work.

I have been told that the automatic start of at-spi-registryd in ubuntu has probably been disabled on purpose because of incompatibilities with certain hardware.

This seems badly broken to me.  What incompatibilities?  Are there
bugs filed about these issues?  I assume that Ubuntu doesn't disable
starting at-spi-registryd in the user's session.  If it works okay
in the session, how does hardware issues create problems for GDM
only?

In Ubuntu there is an option in the Assistive Technology Preferences to start at-spi. Enabling/disabling it requires a logout followed by a login. Trying to start at-spi in the ubuntu gnome session from the terminal does not work; it complains about xevie missing.

I don't know whether at-spi is enabled by default.

The person who told me that was not sure; he talked about wacom devices. I did not insist further...

So I will add a gesture to start at-spi. Will I have to make sure that the command to start at-spi is only given once? Or will subsequent commands to start at-spi remain without effect, once at-spi is running?

Starting it via a gesture is less usable and probably prone to error.
I'd recommend working to fix the incompaitibiles with certain hardware
issues.  As a temporary workaround so you can focus on your more
interesting task of integrating onscreen, it's okay.  But it seems a
little odd to expect an end user to know they need to start a
daemon by hand before they can run AT programs.

Yes, I fully agree that it is odd to have a user first start at-spi manualy. First I made the gesture to start mousetweaks also start at-spi; but later I decided to give at-spi its own gesture, because in any case, all this gesture features will require the user to read documentation. So there is no problem to let the user know that he has to start at-spi before starting mousetweaks. (Hence my original idea about gdmgreeter; the intention was to make the user see what is available without having him read documentation).

In another email, you suggested that using the same gesture to start stop an application during gdmlogin should be done by the gesture software in gdm itself instead of scripts. This also sounds very sensible. I don't know whether I will be able to do it; I will look later at it... For now, I will propose the version with the scripts that is nearly ready.

Finally, you are also right that fixing the incompatibilities instead of disabling at-spi alltogether would be the better way. Unfortunately, I don't really know what is going on about this...

Francesco