[gdm-list] gdmsetup, custom.conf, gdm.conf

Greetings. I tried to search the list archives for 'gdmsetup' and the term was not recognised.

I use Xfce on Pclinuxos 2007. I have not been able to run 'gdmsetup' since enabling the 'accessibility' option which prevented me from doing a normal boot. I had to do a single user log-in and change the log-in manager to KDM. I uninstalled GDM and reinstalled it without success. If I try running 'gdmsetup' as root from the command line, I get:

- - - quote - - -
# gdmsetup
 Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
 Trying failed command again.  Try 2 of 5.
 Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
 Trying failed command again.  Try 3 of 5.
 Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
 Trying failed command again.  Try 4 of 5.
 Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
 Trying failed command again.  Try 5 of 5.
 Command failed 5 times, aborting.
Could not access GDM configuration file.
- - - end quote - - -

I've looked and looked and can see no reason why it should not "access GDM configuration file".

I've run config from the log-in screen and chose to give users the right to change fonts but no such option appears in the log-in screen. The font in the text box on the log-in screen is too small.

So, I thought I'd turn my hand to configuring the *conf file/s. In custom.conf I find the statement:

- - - quote - - -
# Older versions of GDM used the "gdm.conf" file for configuration.  If your
# system has an old gdm.conf file on the system, it will be used instead of
# this file - so changes made to this file will not take effect.  Consider
# migrating your configuration to this file and removing the gdm.conf file.
- - - end quote - - -

First, how do I "[migrate my] configuration to" custom.conf?
Secondly, can anyone suggest a reason why I cannot run 'gdmsetup'?

cheers,

Terry