Re: [gdm-list] Basic overview of internals
- From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
- To: William Jon McCann <mccann jhu edu>
- Cc: gdm-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [gdm-list] Basic overview of internals
- Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:23:27 -0500
I've thrown together a (very) brief description of some of the daemon internals.
Still a lot to add but it is a start...
Thanks. I just looked over it, and it is a good start. Basically you describe
the function of all the clases, which is very helpful. Some ideas of what
information would be useful to add still:
I think the documentation should also include some maintenance/task-based
information. Here are some examples:
- One of the most common on-going modifications to the code is to add
a configuration value, then cause that configuration value to get passed to
the right area of the code so it actually affects behavior.
- How notifications and messages are handled so that any running slaves/greeters
get notified to handle the change.
- If you need to create a new message type between the daemon/slave,
daemon/greeter, slave/greeter, how to go about doing this.
Looking at the code it seems that all places where gdm_daemon_config_get*
calls have been commented out, and a few references to gdm_settings*
functions. It seems that the way you do configuration changes is quite
different, and not documented in any of the gdm-settings.h header files.
In the old gdm, there were detailed instructions in daemon/gdm-config-entries.h
describing this. This header has been removed, though.
In the previous email you listed these as the TODO items:
* Nail down the relationship/interaction between ConsoleKit/HAL/GDM.
* Port gnome-panel and fast-user-switch applet to new interfaces (and
in some cases create new interfaces) - while not strictly GDM we need
to do this in order to understand what we should provide.
* Add session migration code back in.
* Add back the XDMCP chooser stuff.
* Add back something for gdmflexiserver...
* Make sure that our XAuth stuff is correct after all the changes (not
confident it is)
* Test all the error handling code. For example: make sure we always
detect a dead session.
But you didn't mention anything about configuration needing to be plugged
back in? Should this be added to the TODO list?
Also the TODO file in the gdm-gobject branch is empty. Since we
are building a TODO list, lets put it in CVS. Might also be good to review
the oldo TODO list and include anything that we're probably not going to
fix in this rewrite. I just reviewed it, and don't see anything worth
keeping, but would be useful if you could verify.
] [Thread Prev