Re: [gdm-list] gdmsetup, custom.conf, gdm.conf

Terry:

When you get the "Failed to connect to socket" error, this usually means
that the GDM daemon is not running.  Perhaps you are using a different
display manager?  If you run "ps -ef | grep gdm", do you see any
gdm-daemon processes running?

If the daemon is running, then can you run a command like this:

gdmflexiserver --command VERSION

Or does it fail as well?  It would be odd if gdmsetup was broken but
gdmflexiserver were to work.

If these commands fail and the GDM daemon is running, then perhaps you
have a problem connecting to the socket which is normally in
/var/run/gdm_socket or /tmp/.gdm_socket (for older versions of GDM).
The socket should have permissions srw-rw-rw-.  If not, this could
be your problem.

Also, if the main GDM daemon crashes for some reason, then you will
start seeing problems like this.

Brian

Greetings. I tried to search the list archives for 'gdmsetup' and the term was not recognised.

I use Xfce on Pclinuxos 2007. I have not been able to run 'gdmsetup' since enabling the 'accessibility' option which prevented me from doing a normal boot. I had to do a single user log-in and change the log-in manager to KDM. I uninstalled GDM and reinstalled it without success. If I try running 'gdmsetup' as root from the command line, I get:

- - - quote - - -
# gdmsetup
  Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
  Trying failed command again.  Try 2 of 5.
  Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
  Trying failed command again.  Try 3 of 5.
  Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
  Trying failed command again.  Try 4 of 5.
  Failed to connect to socket, sleep 1 second and retry
  Trying failed command again.  Try 5 of 5.
  Command failed 5 times, aborting.
Could not access GDM configuration file.
- - - end quote - - -

I've looked and looked and can see no reason why it should not "access GDM configuration file".

I've run config from the log-in screen and chose to give users the right to change fonts but no such option appears in the log-in screen. The font in the text box on the log-in screen is too small.

So, I thought I'd turn my hand to configuring the *conf file/s. In custom.conf I find the statement:

- - - quote - - -
# Older versions of GDM used the "gdm.conf" file for configuration.  If your
# system has an old gdm.conf file on the system, it will be used instead of
# this file - so changes made to this file will not take effect.  Consider
# migrating your configuration to this file and removing the gdm.conf file.
- - - end quote - - -

First, how do I "[migrate my] configuration to" custom.conf?
Secondly, can anyone suggest a reason why I cannot run 'gdmsetup'?

cheers,

Terry