Re: gdm console login

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:26:36AM -0700, George wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:00:24PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > George, if you have any suggestions, that would be useful.
>
> It is a TOTALLY USELESS feature anyway.  The only person who would at any
[...]
> point actually want to login only on the console is someone who is technically
> capable, and for those people Ctrl-Alt-F1 should work wonders with NO need to
> add more code to gdm.  Further I have no clue why someone would actually want
> to use this instead of the rescue xterm login.  If people are worried about
[...]
> I'm sure you could probably count on your fingers the number of people who
> would actually use this feature.

No, it isn't.  Several video cards are very unhappy with Ctrl-Alt-F?
switching while X is running, often leaving you with a locked up
system or video corruption.  gdm also runs on operating systems where
there isn't a concept of multiple vts, so if X is running on the
console, that's all you get.  There is no way to get to a prompt.

While you can count on your fingers the number of people that would use it on
a Linux system with a video card that has no vt switching problems, you'd
find that the number is much higher outside of it.

> the memory consumption of an X server while they're logged in, then they
> really shouldn't be using GDM (or any other graphical login) to begin with.

As you've said, this isn't really an option for the _users_ who want the
graphical login.  It's for the _admin_ who wants to do something quickly,
and for whatever reason doesn't want to or cannot use xterm.  That doesn't
mean the admin should not run gdm on their user's system, because they don't
want a graphical login.