Re: gdm console login

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:00:24PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> George, if you have any suggestions, that would be useful.

My suggestion is to not implement such a feature.  And even if it is
implemented it should not be turned on in default setup.  Imagine your
grandmother clicking on the wrong thing and getting console login.

It is a TOTALLY USELESS feature anyway.  The only person who would at any
point actually want to login only on the console is someone who is technically
capable, and for those people Ctrl-Alt-F1 should work wonders with NO need to
add more code to gdm.  Further I have no clue why someone would actually want
to use this instead of the rescue xterm login.  If people are worried about
the memory consumption of an X server while they're logged in, then they
really shouldn't be using GDM (or any other graphical login) to begin with.
I'm sure you could probably count on your fingers the number of people who
would actually use this feature.

My policy for these requests was to quietly ignore them as total crack that
should not go into gdm.

Jiri

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Where all men think alike, no one thinks very much.