Re: gdm console login

On 8/9/05, Ryan Murray <rmurray cyberhqz com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:26:36AM -0700, George wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:00:24PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > > George, if you have any suggestions, that would be useful.
> >
> [...]
> As you've said, this isn't really an option for the _users_ who want the
> graphical login.  It's for the _admin_ who wants to do something quickly,
> and for whatever reason doesn't want to or cannot use xterm.  That doesn't
> mean the admin should not run gdm on their user's system, because they don't
> want a graphical login.
I'm fully agree. For example I have application that configures the
system, but it can not run together with X. So such console login
would be perfect solution instead of run-level change.
The power of the feature is not that you can get console quickly, but
that you can shutdown X temporary.

--
Zaar