Re: Gconf/Corba Errors

Hi Michael,

The Gconf/Corba error occurred again and am appending the data:

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Rajkumar,
>
> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:42, Rajkumar Sivasamy wrote:
> > An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
> > ggv. Some of your configuration settings may not work
> > properly.Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>
>         Interesting indeed. the 'BAD_OPERATION' instead of 'COMM_FAILURE' -
> which is what I'd expect for eg. fd starvation etc.
>
>         What gconfd is running ? (ps ax | grep gconf), -1 or -2 ? also, what
> does ls -l /proc/<pidof gconfd>/fd show you ? how many entries are there
> in there ?

- Am running 'gconfd-2'.

- ls -l /proc/<pidof gconfd>/fd gives us the following:

total 4
c---------   1 root     sys       13,  2 Apr 23 11:38 0
c---------   1 root     sys       13,  2 Apr 23 11:38 1
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:46 10
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 11
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 12
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 13
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 14
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 15
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:47 16
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 17
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 18
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 19
c---------   1 root     sys       13,  2 Apr 23 11:38 2
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 20
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 21
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 22
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 23
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 23 11:33 24
c---------   1 root     sys       13,  2 Apr 23 11:38 3
D---------   1 root     root           0 Aug  8  2001 4
c---------   1 root     sys       21,  0 Aug  8  2001 5
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 6
--wx------   1 cb114949 staff        618 Apr 17 18:45 7
--wx------   1 cb114949 staff        618 Apr 17 18:45 8
s---------   0 root     root           0 Apr 17 18:45 9

Also:

a) We tried launching gedit after setting 'GCONF_DEBUG_TRACE_CLIENT'
environment variable and it gave the following result:

gconf trace: Adding dir '/desktop/gnome/sound'
gconf trace: Adding notify to engine at '/desktop/gnome/sound'
gconf trace: Error 'Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Unreturned error 'Configuration server couldn't be
contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Adding dir '/desktop/gnome'
gconf trace: Adding notify to engine at '/desktop/gnome'
gconf trace: Error 'Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Unreturned error 'Configuration server couldn't be
contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Adding dir '/apps/gnome-settings/gedit'
gconf trace: Adding notify to engine at '/apps/gnome-settings/gedit'
gconf trace: Error 'Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Unreturned error 'Configuration server couldn't be
contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0'
gconf trace: Doing remote query for /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd
gconf trace: Doing remote query for
/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
gconf trace: Adding dir '/apps/gedit-2/preferences'
gconf trace: Adding notify to engine at '/apps/gedit-2/preferences'
gconf trace: Error 'Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0' ...

b) gconf-sanity-check-2 doesn't report anything.

c) No errors logged in syslog

d) Also to test whether the issue is due to the corrupted gconf data I
did the following:

 - copied .gconf and .gconfd from the problamatic machine (Say Sys-A) to
a normal box (Say Sys-B) and replaced Sys-B's gconf data with that of
Sys-A's. Even after this Sys-B doesn't report any issue and the gconf
worked fine.

> > CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
> > Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>
>         You havn't by any chance run 'make check' in ORBit2 ? that had a habit
> of binning /tmp/orbit-$USER with all the socket files ;-) if so, you
> need to use HEAD ORBit2, and/or killall -9 gconfd-2 after doing a make
> check in ORBit2.

- No:) we didn't give 'make check' in ORBit2.

Michael, pls. let us know what the issue might be.

(Am also copying Calum whose desktop is reporting this problem.)

Thanks & Regards,
Raj.