Re: cairo, freetype, fontconfig, et al.

Peter,

Point taken...

In order to avoid building a needed dependency for a GARNOME
application, several things must be true about an external/distro
package that satisfies the dependency:

* The set of versions acceptable to *all* of the GARNOME packages that
use this dependency is known.

* The relevant content [executables, header files, and libraries] is
available and easily located.

* A simple mechanism exists to determine the version of the package

* libtool files associated with the external package create no conflicts
with other GARNOME packages.

There has been a lot of academic work on the detection, construction,
and maintenance of software dependencies. As is true of all problems of
this genre, the easy things are easy the hard things are hard.

What I believe can be done in the near term is pick away at some of the
simple cases like pkg-config and revisit this issue on a recurring
basis.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net