Re: cairo, freetype, fontconfig, et al.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:59:55 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Keeping a suite of packages current and consistent is a moving target. The
> latest updates for GARNOME are always found in CVS.
>
> Let's see...
>
> * pkg-config
> currently at 0.20. Version 0.21 is available.
>
> OK... I can update that one.
>

> * cairo
> currently at version 1.24 in both CVS-HEAD and CVS-216
>
> * freetype
> currently at 2.1.10. Version 2.2.1 is available I looked at updating
> freetype a while back.  I will look at it once again.
>

> -Joseph

I suppose what I am getting at is this: there ARE some dependencies listed
for Garnome that are not compiled in the tree. These are expected to be on
the host system.

Programs such as pkgconfig are most always available on the host system,
and I don't understand why it's compiled fresh. Cairo, freetype,
fontconfig too.

Why can't some kind of conditional test be done to avoid compiling
duplicate versions of software.

I realize the complexity of this undertaking, but believe that the fewer
moving parts, the simpler.

For example, if a user already had installed dbus, why recompile it? Just
check the version, emit a note maybe, and go on to the next.

Just a thought.

What would happen if I mask a dependency. For example, if I moved the
pkgconfig program to .pkgconfig. Would garnome choke?

--
Peter