Re: cairo, freetype, fontconfig, et al.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:01:02 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

snip...

> What this really comes down to is a counting argument.  GARNOME currently
> consists of 260+ packages.  If the number of "unnecessary" packages being
> built is small, so be it.  It that number approaches 10% then there is an
> issue that needs to be addressed.
>
> As you have discovered earlier, you can always modify LIBDEPS to eliminate
> any dependency you find to be superfluous. How well that will work will
> depend up which distro and which version you are running.
>
> -Joseph

I understand. I suppose I am looking at this as a packager would, not a
user looking to install it into $HOME/garnome.

It works fine as is, and I completely understand your hesitance to wreck a
good thing. I _do_ think, however, that it's worth keeping in mind
tinkering with the core dependencies and using what's common in most
distros today. And, I also think it's worth keeping in mind what to do if
dbus, hal, or avahi are already installed.

Thanks

--
Peter