Re: DBUS Startup Question

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:23:18 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> In order for an app to use the session DBUS, it must be able to find the
> dbus session socket. The dbus-launch command sets two environment
> variables:
>
>         * DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>         * DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
>
> These env variables must be set in all shells.
>

> -Joseph

/me whacks himself aside the head...

Normally, I do the eval `dbus-launch` in .bash_profile. Because I was
sourcing a script in a terminal for testing, exporting all env variables is
required. Numbnuts here was not exporting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID. I was
exporting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, but not PID.

Interestingly, even with that exported, gnome-session still indicates that
gnome-settings-daemon fails with exit code 1 and cannot load it. I can
load it manually though. Why this occurs I do not know.

Luckily, I can load it during the launch of enlightenment which is my
primary wm, and all apps appear to run fine.

This inability to launch gnome-settings-daemon did NOT occur in 2.16.0
however. Maybe a "new feature" was introduced! :)

Sorry to be such a bother. I will try and drop by IRC.

(I feel really sorry for people who package gnome for a living!)

--
Peter