Re: DBUS Startup Question

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:48:00 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Using startx /.xinitrc /garnome-session does work.
>
> I launch the X-server and GARNOME desktop by running startx, after
> command line  based log in,  which automatically runs the .xinitrc shell
> script shown below, which sets PATH and then execs garnome-session. The
> last few lines in my garnome-session file are:
>
>         DBUS_LAUNCH="$GARNOME/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session"
>
>         # export variables
>         export ACLOCAL_FLAGS ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS PATH MANPATH
>         LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
>         XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
>

>         # exec GARNOME's gnome-session
>         exec $DBUS_LAUNCH $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session
>
> So something is amiss with your configuration.

I agree. the above DOES work. My question was why, if I execute eval
`dbus-launch --exit-with-session` before launching gnome, it does NOT
work.

In other words, the eval command will create the variable
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, it will fork a process for dbus-launch, which
should be used by all applications needing the bus.

I was just looking for a way to have a persistent running process of dbus
so that I could do many things, not just gnome.

FWIW, this method works fine with my current configuration and gnome 2.14.

> Connect to #garnome IRC channel and maybe we can figure out what is
> happening on your system.

Maybe I will.

Like I say, it's more an intellectual question than a bug. I like the way
I do it now as documented in the dbus manpage.

--
Peter