Re: anything else but

Hrm, Niels explicitly Cc'd the list, but according to the archives it
never got through... *sigh*

Cc'ing the list as well, leaving Niels comments intact for reference.

> >Anyway, I'm glad to see you solved the issues. And thanks for mentioning
> >this to the list previously.
>
> I posted a note to the list with a remark on the gtk2 settings
> especially for suse. I wonder that nobody posted the file location
> for non suse linuxes.

Just in case you got me wrong: That was not a snide remark. I'm indeed
glad you posted all solutions back to the list for reference.

Regarding the file locations for non SuSE systems: This seems to be an
SuSE specific issue. On my system, there is neither the mentioned shell
scripts nor the env vars posted before.

> >I can't agree here at all.
> >
> >Granted, a missing menu editor is kind of a serious bug for a stable
> >Desktop Release. But I don't consider this a showstopper, cause GNOME
> >does not ship the Desktop directly to the end user.
>
> it definitely is a showstopper. My intention was to replace
> garnome2.6.1 by 2.10. I need a full working desktop
> environment, and without menu editing it is a pain.
>
> I wonder that the gnome people published that and not leaving
> the menu system as it was (it worked fine!). The should publish
> a new menu system when its finished.

Ah well... I neither don't know, why they missed the menu editor.

> >I wish you more luck the next time around. And a more pleasant user
> >experience of course...
>
> The problem is that I do garnome builds ~ once a year and not
> each week or month. Therefore much knowledge goes lost.
> I am always writing something like a hints file, but obviously
> it wasn't good enough.

Well, that's what the list is for. Solving issues and discussions. :)

Anyway, since GNOME 2.6 so much has changed. Your notes aren't
necessarily bad at all, they just don't cover new stumbling blocks...

> Nevertheless there is no real problem. My 2.6.1 works very
> well. I did a lot of partial updates. Guess 60%-80%
> of the components had been replaced by newer releases.
>
> I am a loyal supporter of gnome, because I believe there
> must be only one desktop environment, and it must be based
> on a popular and compatible free toolkit. Therefore I have
> almost all time of the world for waiting for a new gnome
> with a working menu editing feauture.

:)

> Again thanx a lot for your support.
>
> -NF