anything else but (was: Re: GARNOME 2.10.0.1 to be released soon)

> >FWIW; The Control Center itself is not available using GNOME Menu.
> >However, anything that is part of the Control Center is in the Desktop
> >Menu. And if you want, run 'gnome-control-center' manually.
>
> all these problems disappeared with Doug's environment settings.
> We had that issue more than a week ago.

I hate it when I waste my time trying to solve other peoples issues even
though they are already solved...

Anyway, I'm glad to see you solved the issues. And thanks for mentioning
this to the list previously.

FWIW, I do remember that post. But as I was processing a couple of days
worth of unread list mail, with your issues spread over 6 different
threads, it is pretty easy to miss facts like this -- even more as they
where sent within a couple of hours.

[...]
> > Hrm, didn't you just say above, that everything was built just fine?
>
> manually build - yes. I enumerated those packages. We had that issue
> more than one week ago.

As you are stressing this fact twice... Your last post full of issues
was about 4 days prior to my response.

> gnome2.10 without a menu editor is pretty useless. Thats not your
> mistake, I know that. You did the best you could out of a
> work-in-progress release.
>
> I removed it a couple of days ago, and waiting for a future update
> with a full working gnome.

I can't agree here at all.

Granted, a missing menu editor is kind of a serious bug for a stable
Desktop Release. But I don't consider this a showstopper, cause GNOME
does not ship the Desktop directly to the end user.

It's the distributors duty, to tweak the menu and provide non-GNOME
applications, as well as integrate them into the menu.

Please bear in mind, that the freedesktop.org menu specs itself still
are work in progress, and GNOME adopts these free and interoperable
standards very early.

Beside that, GNOME actually comes with a full featured Desktop. And yes,
it is fully working, too.

In fact GARNOME is a GNOME distributor. But the target audience isn't
the end user either [1]. It should be safe to assume, that anyone who
manages to build GNOME using GARNOME should not have serious issues
creating new menu entries manually. [2]

Oh well, whatever. Once there is a somewhat stable version of a menu
editor available, GARNOME very likely will ship it in one of the
additional categories.

I wish you more luck the next time around. And a more pleasant user
experience of course...

...guenther

[1] see the first lines of the README

[2] Have a look at the .desktop files in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications
(the desktop wide menu and mime files). Manually creating custom menu
items is incredibly easy -- either in the desktop wide directory, or the
private user one in $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications.