Re: Clear all old Gnome data? (started but crashed)

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Danilo Segan">
>
>> > Is there an easy way to install garnome under a different user w/o
>> > having to recompile?
>>
>> The best solution for you would be to remove all cookies
>
> The even better than best solution is "don't do that". It doesn't matter
> which directory you install GARNOME into, as long as the permissions are
> fine, anyone should be able to use it.

Indeed, but since the OP talked about "moving" a Garnome installation,
I imagine him (wanting to have|having) a home directory "chmod o-x
$HOME" (what is at least my preference), or something similar.

Of course, even better than "better than best" solution would have
been to install as the separate "garnome" user in the first place,
where one could still keep $HOME un-cd-able and unreadable for others
(except for garnome user home directory, which still must be readable
and cd-able).

If we're talking about primarily single-user system, then it pretty
much doesn't matter, and you're completely right.

> I know a lot of people install to /usr/local/garnome-$VERSION, and there's
> nothing practically different between that and /home/$USER/garnome. :-)

Except that there may be more/less space on a /usr partition --
there's always one more catch ;)

Cheers,
Danilo