Re: Clear all old Gnome data? (started but crashed)

Hi Rob,

Rob Hudson <rob euglug net> writes:

> I tried creating a new user but ran into a few problems...
>
> Just moving the ~/garnome directory leaves behind traces of my other
> user in ~/garnome/etc files.

That's utterly wrong -- when Garnome compiles itself, it hardcodes
stuff like "/home/rob/garnome" in the executables, so it depends on
the path -- you cannot simply move it around.

> So I thought I'd do another make install in the garnome sources under my
> new user thinking it would install the stuff in the new user's home
> directory, but it was riddled with touch errors.  I then tried to chown
> and chmod the files so both users can manage them but that didn't work
> out either.

Again, these paths are hardcoded even in the Makefiles.

> Is there an easy way to install garnome under a different user w/o
> having to recompile?

The best solution for you would be to remove all cookies (is there
any target for that?), adjust GAR configuration, and reran "make
install" -- that will reconfigure everything with new paths, and
recompile only what's necessary (that's the autotools/make magic).

It will be much faster than recompiling everything, but still a lot
slower than simply copying them over.

> I then just tried to launch the Gnome 2.4 that comes with Debian under
> the new user and received practically the same crash report.  So it
> appears to be a bigger issue than just a garnome thing.

Try cleaning up your /tmp/.ICE-unix/ directory.

Cheers,
Danilo