Re: Clear all old Gnome data? (started but crashed)

I tried creating a new user but ran into a few problems...

Just moving the ~/garnome directory leaves behind traces of my other
user in ~/garnome/etc files.

So I thought I'd do another make install in the garnome sources under my
new user thinking it would install the stuff in the new user's home
directory, but it was riddled with touch errors.  I then tried to chown
and chmod the files so both users can manage them but that didn't work
out either.

Is there an easy way to install garnome under a different user w/o
having to recompile?

I then just tried to launch the Gnome 2.4 that comes with Debian under
the new user and received practically the same crash report.  So it
appears to be a bigger issue than just a garnome thing.

I'm listing the file called 'X' after I issued this command:
startx &> X
just in case someone can see something weird.

Thanks,
Rob

# cat X

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 XFree86 Org and patches submitted
to fixes XFree86 Org   Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-12.1 20031003005825 james nocrew org) / X Window System
Release Date: 18 October 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-rc1-ac1-cryptoloop i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 19 13:49:52 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols found
(II) Initializing extension GLX
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
SESSION_MANAGER=local/rhudson1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/24727
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 157500
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1344 hend: 1504 httl: 1728
              vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1072 flags: 5
The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 106 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 57 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 24736, errno = 0
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

On 20040319.0850, Ivan Noris said ...