Re: Possible panel properties bug, nautilus, PATH, and MANPATH

Jens Bech Madsen wrote:

It's not really a bug. Nautilus's default behaviour has changed. If you
prefer the old style always, you can use gconf-editor or gconf-tool to
set the key /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser. That will
make nautilus behave as before.

In my gconf-editor, there is no always_use_browser in
apps/nautilus/preferences, there are, however checkboxes for
start_with_location_bar, _sidebar, _status_bar, and _toolbar,
all of which were already checked, but I don't have either the
location_bar or sidebar. I tried unchecking them and re-checking them,
just to see if there was any effect - there wasn't.

I am basically talking about the Home icon on the desktop. I discovered that by right clicking and selecting browse folder, I get what I would want by double-clicking the icon - ie, the default behavior. Since you can't delete that icon or move it to the trash, or change the properties (ie, simply add the --browser option), you have to go to gconf-editor apps/nautilus/desktop and turn off home_icon_visible. You can then add a launcher for "nautilus --no-desktop --browser" and call it "Home". Seems like a lot of work. There must be an easier way .. though I DID learn a lot.

BTW, I got:

pdm:pdm> gconf-tool
bash: gconf-tool: command not found
pdm:pdm> gconf-editor

(gconf-editor:1421): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory 48x48/mimetypes of
theme Snow-Apple has no size field
(but the editor comes up. I may have some . files from my old GNOME
lying around that are causing some problems???)

From a usablilty standpoint, shouldn't one be able to set these
preferences directly in nautilus instead of going to gconf-editor?
A typical new user of gnome is not going to know enough to do that.
One might expect similar behavior to mozilla, say, where you can
show/hide stuff like that. Also, since gconf-editor opens with a warning to not try this at home, I think it discourages new users from playing with it.

To make matters worse, Gnome Help seems to crash almost every time I use it - while "Loading". If I try to quit the window I get a force-quit dialog. One time, I completely lost my mouse & keyboard and had to reboot. I haven't yet had time to look into this.

Paul Miller
(location one verizon net)