Re: knowledge base/docs site?

To which Pat Suwalski wrote:

> > Perhaps, but I don't know DocBook. I know PHP and MySQL.
> >
> > Also, wouldn't DocBook require GNOME to be compiled already? Unless they
> > have 1.2 or whatever comes with the distro, there's the chicken-egg
> > problem. A web interface IS more accessible.

And Jeff's humourous comeback was:

> There is no chicken and egg problem. The documentation would be published on
> the website. It would be written in Docbook.
>
>   [ When I was smaller and cuter than I am today (many moons ago), a major
>   drug and sex education programme used the tagline, "It's okay to say NO!",
>   illustrating that it was okay for little girls to say "no" to strangers
>   offering lollypops; it was okay for teenagers to say "no" to their friends
>   telling them to scull bourbon [1]; and it was okay for parents to say "no"
>   to kids wanting to experiment with foreign herbs and nudity in the living
>   room. This brilliant tagline has so many applications... "PHP/MySQL: It's
>   OKAY to say NO!" :-) ]
>
> - Jeff
>
> [1] Christ almighty! Next they'll be peer-pressuring us into sculling our
> own urine.

Jeff, I appreciate your humour but I don't think Pat knows where you are
coming from.

Pat. Jeff explained why he wanted to use doc book when he replied to the
original post on wiki :-

'Thanks, but no, not a Wiki. I've said many times that Docbook
documentation will be gratefully accepted (as it's easy to work with,
easy to add to, easy to maintain, etc).'

Some pointers to docbook websites and why Jeff [1] might think it is the
best soloution for the problem are listed below:-

The offical DocBook site

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/

The DocBook.org website, home of the DocBook: The Definitive Guide book.

http://www.docbook.org/

A tutorial

http://nis-www.lanl.gov/~rosalia/mydocs/docbook-intro/docbook-intro.html

Michael Hunt

[1] I have to say that this is IMHO (in my humble opinion) but seems to
fit in with waht Jeff has said.