Re: Garnome feature request (was Re: tarball with tar.gz ext)

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 16:12, sams marketing-designs com wrote:

> > > Why should this even be an option? bzips are smaller, and a larger
> > > proportion of GARNOME users use GARNOME to do all the downloading - indeed,
> > > that's half of what it does.
> > >
> > > This seems like unnecessary complexity for a very small proportion of
> > > GARNOME users.
> >
> > And in the spirit of Havoc, who seems to have a reasonable bug up his
> > but about unnecessary options in Gnome, why would you make this an
> > option any way.  Surely, if you were to implement it, it would be better
> > to make it so that it just checks for bz2 files, then gz files.  This
> > would give the same functionality, without having to get the user to set
> > yet another option.

> That doesn't make sense.  I am not Havoc, but it seems like he is more
> against visible options in gnome.  garnome is not GNOME, it is a package
> builder that happens to build GNOME.  Plus options are great if they
> are initialized to the right (or assumed right) values.  Yes, I agree
> that an option that allows one to download .gz files instead of .bz2
> (maybe they don't have bzip installed?) would be better.

My experience of Havoc is that he's not just talking about gnome when he
talks about cutting down on 'visible options'.

More importantly, why would you have it as an option when it would
(likely) be simpler to have it just look for .bz2 and then .gz.

The only reason I can see is that you might want it to download the .gz
file instead of the bz2 file.  In this case, it would still make sense
to get it to try both options, and instead to be able to set which
option to try first, but downloading the bz2 files makes far more sense
size wise.  Maybe what you're really after is a simple applet that
converts gz to bz2 and vice versa.

Rodd
--
Lest we forget...

"They disembarked in 45,
 And no one spoke and no one smiled,
 There were too many spaces in the line.
 And Gathered at the cenotaph,
 All agreed with hand on heart,
 To sheath the sacrificial knives.

"But now...
 She stands upon Southampton Dock
 With her handkerchief, and her summer frock
 That clings to her wet body in the rain.
 In quiet desperation
 Knuckles white upon the slippery reins,
 She bravely waves the boys goodbye again"

			-- Southampton Dock, by Pink Floyd