Re: More on fontconfig and pango

<quote who="Steve Smith">

> > > You can force the libraries into ~/garnome, but it still installs
> > > stuff outside of the garnome tree, in particular it seems to put
> > > config files in /etc/fonts.
>
> Sorry, I should say "expects config files in /etc/fonts".  The /etc/fonts
> is hardcoded in fccfg.c.  That can be overridden from the environment
> though.  But as is some paths in fontconfig are hardcoded.  I don't know
> how much work it would be to fix that, I'm having a look now.

I don't think so, fontconfig works perfectly here with fonts.conf in
GARNOME's prefixed etc/.

> > > This (to me anyway) breaks the garnome contract of not messing with
> > > the existing setup.  Maybe for now you should remove fontconfig as
> > > part of garnome and make it a pre-requirement as with docbook-xml?
> > > Just 2 cents AU.
> >
> > Would do, but who is shipping it? Not really feasible.
>
> Unless you say to install it by hand.  But I agree, that's not really a
> favorite.

The only reason it's causing problems now is unforseen fuckups on my part
(stupid makefile decisions, relying on X4.2, etc).

Mind, I still have no idea how this is meant to work cross-platform, which
is a general goal I've had with GARNOME...

    "I can't imagine anyone telling Emma Bunton to shut up. It would be
                        rather like slapping Bambi."