Re: root compilation

<quote who="Pat Suwalski">

> And that's alright, since you'll probably never see my Debs (which run
> very finely, thank you). They may never go back to Debian, but they're
> definitely going into our distribution.

:-)

[ For everyone else stuck without yummy X 4.2.0 goodness on Debian, I've
been using the XFree86 binary tarballs. They work very nicely, just install
the Debian ones, then use Xinstall.sh to install the binary tarballs over
the top. Not too messy, as removing the Debian packages will remove all of
the installed files anyway. I did this on my desktop because of the G2D
Xinerama vs. Canvas issues on X4.1. Useful if you need it. ]

> My understanding of the question was that he's having trouble adding a
> font path. If that's the case XftConfig has poop-all to do with having the
> fonts show up at all -- those do go into XF86Config.4. My previous eMail
> could have been worded better.

They're two different systems; XftConfig and XF86Config-4 are the
configuration files for each.

(At GUADEC, Keith Packard was joking that whilst he added a much cooler font
system, he added yet another configuration and font map system too. Gar.)

                "What inspired you to become a bus driver?"
                             "Linus Torvalds."